Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Let's Hear It For Pepper Rings!


I know what you're thinking and no, I haven't lost my mind. I have begun a love affair with pepper rings. The sweet kind that you find at sub shops. I accidentally bought the ones I have when I was replacing my roommates spicy peppers. So the jar has been sitting in the back of our fridge a few months. The other day I was making a sandwich and was looking for interesting things to put on it. All I had was lettuce and the "meat" and then I saw the jar and remembered (fondly) once eating them on a sub. I really enjoyed the tanginess it added to my sandwich and so I've been putting them on all my sandwiches. 

Today is free bagel day at Kettleman Bagels new location in downtown Portland (SW 4th/Taylor, ignore the NW location they have on their website. wtf?), so I met up with a friend there and stood in the long (but fast-moving, no toasting is going on) line with her. I tried to get Tofutti cream cheese but the high school girl had no clue what I was talking about. She thought I was trying to say Tofruity or something and when I asked another girl that was taking orders, she also was like nah. Which saddened me since they always have Tofutti at that establishment and because I heard already from Jess that she had gotten some with her bagel this morning. I wasn't eating it right away anyways and had some Tofutti at home, so I just got a garlic bagel. Just that order confused the high school girl and she had to rewrite the order 3 times. I took my bagel home, toasted it, schmeared it with plain Tofutti, added thin cucumber and red onion slices, a little salt and pepper, and some pepper rings on top. Yum! 

I love sandwiches...

1 comment:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

1) I've never heard of those pepper rings before. Creepy!

2) Next time you're so nearby, you should just trot on up to my office!

3) love, jess