Tuesday, August 18, 2009

POM Wonderful

For awhile there vegans and vegetarians were not so happy with the POM people. It had been discovered/made known that they were testing on animals for research on how their product effects health. According to the PETA write up the tests included balloons being inflated in live rabbits to study erectile dysfunction and baby mice being suffocated to the point of brain damage. So when I was contacted by a POM rep and asked if I would like to give their juice a try I was, for a moment, hesitant. I quickly realized they must not be doing the testing anymore, otherwise why would she contact a blatantly vegan blog? I had never heard what had happened with PETA's boycott, so I asked the rep about it just to make sure and she sent me a link to the PETA article that talks about POM quitting all animal testing. I suppose someone could defend the testing saying that knowing that information is beneficial, but really, why do we need to know how it helps erectile dysfunction in rabbits? I think human research would be more beneficial and less cruel. If you know something about this that I don't, let me know...

Anyways, so I was sent 6 of the baby 8 oz bottles POM Wonderful. I was hoping for a variety of flavors (cherry, blueberry, mango, tangerine), but, you know, beggers can't be choosers...or something. They were free, yo! I don't have a lot of knowledge of other pomegranate juices so I can't rightly compare the flavor. It's a bit like cranberry juice in that it's a very strong flavor that begs to mixed with other liquids....say, vodka or gin...I took a couple bottles over to my sister's house and we mixed it with gin, ginger ale and lime. So yum! I like the size of the bottles because they were just the right size to make 3 mixed drinks. If they don't advertise these at liquor stores, they should. It's always nice to feel like you're mixed drink is actually doing something healthy for your body. 

Sadly, I don't have a picture of any of the drinks I created. Also, sadly, one of my bottles has a lid that won't open. I took it camping with me this past weekend and none of the other 7 people (3 boys, 4 girls) there could make it budge. I'm thinking of taking a knife to it...I'll keep you updated...

No comments: