Thursday, June 11, 2009

I did it! I made sausages!

mmmm.....so faux-meaty....
Or perhaps I should say soysages? Actually, no, let's keep the word "sausage." As you may know -if you've been reading this blog or know me in real life- I love me some sausage: put it on my pizza, in my southern white gravy with buttery biscuits, covered in sauerkraut, simply grilled/heated and dipped in ketchup. Yum! 

Several months ago, the wonderful Julie Hasson put up a recipe and a video for Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausage. Ever since then variations have been popping up everywhere. Jess of GetSconed! has been making tons of them, from Cherry-Sage to Chorizo (both from Veganomicon). I was honored to be the recipient of a sausage every once and awhile when Jess let me try hers. Which definitely delays the motivation to do it myself. 

Well, this weekend is my roommate's 30th birthday and we're going away on a camping trip with friends. I figured that this is the perfect time to try out my sausage-making skills...I mean, skillz. I decided to try Julie's original recipe. The instruction were simple and though I feel like my dough was wetter than it was supposed to be, the sausages came out wonderfully. I took a picture of them, but then I realized I could just use one of Jess' since they all look basically the same. I let them cool and then i removed them from the foil and cut them into rounds so that we can use them for our Stew Pockets (which is when you cut up a whole bunch of veggies, add a pureed soup and put the foil pocket in the fire to heat/cook).

3 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

yahhh for you! I love my homemade vegan ssusages. They taste a million times better then anything you can get in the store. I haven't made them in awhile, thanks for the inspiration. Happy Birthday to your friend and have FUN camping.

Tami said...

Your sausages look great! I love that recipe, too....it works no matter what you do.

Have a great time camping!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

They look great! Oh, wait....



<3<3<3 Miss you this weekend! You're such a great friend for making em for your friends!