Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ritteh Shport


Ritter Sport is not the brand of chocolate I inhaled the most of during my year in Germany. I was a Milka girl. (The Sahne Creme had me wrapped around it's little nonvegan finger) But nowadays anything of Germany excites me and takes me be back to that year abroad. I had heard so many vegans exclaim over the Ritter Sport Peppermint bar. It's one of the few vegan options that the brand carries. The other being Marzipan, and there's a couple more I believe. 

Mint has never been a big thing for me. I disliked it in my ice cream. I didn't much like mint tea. But then I start thinking about the mint things I do like: Mint gums such as Double Mint, Andes chocolates that I would get after an Olive Garden meal, I like it in my toothpaste with my cinnamon, Peppermint Patties, those red and white pinwheel mints you can get almost anywhere, and the best of all, Junior Mints. Geez, I do like mint! I might even love it....

For my birthday, Paula sweetly gave me a Peppermint bar. I didn't think too much of it, I was mainly surprised to be given anything at all. I forgot about it after putting it on a shelf in my kitchen and then after a few days in the 80s, I came across it. It had, of course, melted and it looked quite sad. I immediately put it in the fridge to firm it back up. A couple days ago, I finally broke into it. I was in the mood for something chocolatey and refreshing and it totally surpassed that goal. It was so delightful and delicious! The dark chocolate is of the nonbitter sort and matches well with the wonderful peppermint center. It totes tastes like a Peppermint Patty! I suppose if one would want to, they could make a tasty milkshake out of it, but I prefer to enjoy it naked. After all, I don't like mint in my ice cream!

Note: According to wikipedia the Peppermint one now contains butterfat, so check the ingredients before buying (if you're vegan, you're probably doing that anyways, we're a group of double-checkers....). 

Image found via Google Image search, from this blog. Thanks, Amey!

5 comments:

Rob said...

Yes, the Ritter Sport are great! I love the marzipan ones. Sorry to hear that the peppermint ones aren't vegan anymore; damn - I used to like those. Still can't beat the chocolate almond bark or chocolate covered pretzels from ChocolateDecadence.com though! Or for that matter get one of those monster dark chocolate bars from Trader Joe's, melt slowly, mix with some coconut milk, add a splash of your favorite liquor, and you've the world's best truffle filling all to yourself. Freeze in shapes on trays and dip in melted chocolate to create truffles, or use as icing, or use as body paint, or spread on pancakes, or pipe into cakes, the list goes on.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

It's the best candy bar that's ever existed in the history of my world. RIP.


great write up, cooks!

VeganCowGirl said...

Hey! I love love love Ritteh Sport bars. And they are one of the only things that transferred from my life in Canada to my life in Brussels. I can't find my brand of peanut butter but I sure can find this chocolate - and I love that so many of their bars are vegan.

Renai said...

I used to think that they had the funniest name ever and wouldn't eat them just because of that (who am I!?) ohhhh so foolish. I love the mint ones so much. MMM!

Sadako said...

I love Ritter! But I do hate mint.