Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I don't get it...

Last week I finally got the book I've had on hold for at least a month, This Crazy Vegan Life by Christina Pirello. She's the host of a PBS cooking show called Christina Cooks. The book itself doesn't have anything really new for me. I've read it all before and I feel like this book was a bit on the boring side. I think it would be a good read for newbies, but there's other books out there that I prefer (The Food Revolution by John Robbins and Meat Market by Erik Marcus). 

What her book did do was remind me of the annoying fact that less than half of all medical schools require nutrition classes for our future doctors. How is it possible that doctors don't have to learn nutrition?? That just seems so nuts to me. Our health depends on what we're putting into our bodies. There's studies all over the place about what foods effect (is that the right -ffect? I asked my friend Corinn and that's what she told me was right...so it's her fault if it's not...) your chances of getting certain cancers or prevents them. Of course, genetics plays into that, but it's a known fact that what we eat can alter things. 

Ok, that's all my rant. Not a very good rant. But it's just something I had to say aloud....

I'm still job-less. I gave my resume to Sweetpea Lisa to give to her friend Wes of Blossoming Lotus. They're *finally* opening up their own location (they're currently sharing space with a yoga studio) and working there would be nice, I think. So far I have had no call backs for jobs that I've applied for. I would love to do something with food products, but I'm not sure how to find that since I don't know exactly where to look and what the options are. Something should just drop in my lap  :o)

I leave you with photobooth pics of me and my momma from my recent trip home for her birthday.


3 comments:

sgcorrie said...

The internet keeps eating my comments! Grrrr! I think Christina is pretty darn great - although her guitar player guy is a little creepy. And they should absolutely include nutritional education in medical curriculums.

Good luck on Blossoming Lotus! I for one am enjoying the paid time off :-)

Tami said...

Those photos are great!!!

Good luck on the job...and a huge yes to nutrition ed for doctors!

Crystal said...

What? Doctors don't have to take a nutrition class? I never knew that and now I'm a bit peeved. It doesn't make sense. Thanks for enlightening me.

Good luck on your job search! I'm in the same boat...want to do something with food...not sure what.